Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Our Summer Begins

The family is once again at our summer home - a 1/2 hour skiff ride out of the village of Larsen Bay on Kodiak Island, Alaska.  Bryan, Emmett, and Lucy got out here first and Garett and I (Lara) arrived on June 2nd.  I swear it felt like we had never left starting with the landing in Kodiak.  Very strange.  It has been the easiest transition in years which I take to be a good omen :)  Let's see if that transfers to the amount of fish we catch!  Unfortunately, we have only had two 1 and a half day openers and there might not be another one until July.  The weather has been really decent though which is awesome.  The boys are outside right now at 9pm yelling and playing in the yard.  What's not to love!

So as an introduction, this is our (my) first venture in this type of thing.  My vision however is for both Garett and I to do posts so that we can give both perspectives of what life is like out here.

I was working on the beach this afternoon doing net work and had such a clear awareness of how our life out here is so similar to how it has been for almost a hundred years.  In the sense that everyone is working.  There are nets on shore to be mended.  Boats on the line.  A fire in the woodstove with someone preparing food for dinner in the kitchen.  A child runs down the path to the beach as a boat approaches with news from the "outside" and gifts from the store.  You take away the fact that we have a generator, a radio phone, and satellite internet, and you'd be hard pressed to guess the present year.  I love it!

I look forward to sharing more of our experiences with you and thanks for your patience while I learn all this "new fangled" stuff - ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment